Are you trying to convert your offline donors to online? Do you want to simplify your donation forms and make it easier for donors to give?
A new feature from Crimson and WidgetMakr helps streamline the online giving process for your donors.
Crimson now assigns an ID token to every contact record stored on the platform. This ID token, which is unique for every person, can be added to widgets as a URL parameter that will automatically fill in all of the fields in WidgetMakr with the data available in Crimson for that donor.
When your WidgetMakr widget is combined with the Crimson ID token, payment information is all your donors need to enter.
How do Crimson ID tokens work?
After exporting a file from People Search in Crimson, you’ll notice a new column – named IDToken – at the very end of your CSV file.
This ID token is similar to mail merge technology used in direct mail. When it is added to the donation link through a URL parameter, the token will pre-populate fields such as name, address and phone number.
The Crimson ID Tokens are a great way to take the data you have for your offline donors and apply it to online giving or encourage a recurring gift program.
Crimson ID Tokens + Spark Giving Matrix
If you have giving history for donors saved in Crimson – and the Spark Giving Matrix is enabled on your widget – the widget will automatically customize giving levels for your donor when the Crimson ID token is added to the donation link. This means that you won’t be asking a small dollar for a $1,000 gift nor leave out donations by asking major donors for too little.
Want to learn more?
State primaries are currently taking place across the country. Unfortunately, after every election, many committees must end their efforts. However, before terminating, campaign committees must “wind down.” The campaign infrastructure, which took months or years to build, cannot be dismantled overnight. Campaigns must pay off debt, sell assets and compensate the staff responsible for the wind down process, which includes compliance activities in accordance with FEC regulations. Usually, campaigns are left with few remaining resources. Occasionally, however, former candidates face an unusual dilemma. After losing an election, how does a campaign committee allocate surplus funds?
According to the FEC, former candidates must follow certain guidelines. The FEC explicitly states that surplus campaign funds CANNOT be used to cover candidates’ personal expenses. However, a federal campaign committee may:
- Contribute to other federal campaign committees or PACs in accordance with normal contribution limits
- Donate to state and local candidates pursuant to state guidelines
- Make unlimited contributions to national, state or local party committees
- Contribute funds to qualifying charitable organizations
- Convert the campaign committee into a multi-candidate committee
During the primary election, some candidates may also receive contributions designated for the general election. If the candidate loses the primary, these funds are not considered “permissible campaign funds” by the FEC and, thus, are subject to different guidelines. Campaign committees should consider the following options:
- If the candidate plans to seek office again, the campaign may contact donors and ask for permission to re-designate the funds to another campaign committee that belongs to the same candidate.
- If donors do not agree to re-designate the funds, the committee must refund the contributions.
- If the campaign is unable to refund the contributions, it must turn over the remaining funds to the U.S. Treasury
Every election cycle, whether they win or lose, candidates must eventually terminate their committees. Candidates should be prepared to dispose of surplus funds in a manner that is consistent with FEC regulations and that continues to further the causes shared by candidates and their supporters.
This article was posted for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
Capture Crowd Enthusiasm
Take advantage of crowd enthusiasm by swiping for small-dollar donations when volunteers are deployed with the CrimsonMobile app + card readers on their Android smartphone.
Make it easier to donate
Streamline the donation process for major donors to use credit cards over checks and eliminate the need to stand in long lines or mail in a form after the event.
Capture required information
Reduce the need for follow-up or "best efforts" letters by capturing all of the information required by the FEC or your state through the CrimsonMobile app.
Automatically Sync with Crimson
There's no need to import donations processed through CrimsonMobile because the app seamlessly syncs with your Crimson account.
It’s now easier to keep up with your tasks and updates in Crimson when you enable push notifications on either your email or smartphone.
When push notifications are turned on, Crimson will send a notification to your smartphone as well as your desktop through your Crimson account whenever a task is added, updated, or completed.
Follow the directions below to enable push notifications from Crimson:
2. From your Crimson dashboard, click on the Account link at the top of the page.
3. Your accounts settings will appear as a pop-up window labeled My Account.
4. Under Password/Access, click on the checkboxes next to Email Notifications and Mobile Notifications to enable one or both of them.
5. Click on the Save button at the bottom of the screen.
RSVP to join our latest monthly Crimson Webinars, hosted by our Senior Support Staff next Wednesday, June 8! Choose to attend one of the following sessions:
Crimson General Overview on Wednesday, June 8 at 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. EDT
- A general overview: People Search, Data Entry, Reports, and more
- Newest features: Recalculate Dashboard button, Employer/Occupation Standardization, and People Search – ending COH filters
Please RSVP to receive your calendar invite and webinar information.
CrimsonMobile now has push notifications! This new feature will alert you on your smartphone to any new tasks or updates to tasks made on the Crimson platform.
Stay-on-top of your Tasks in Crimson with the new push notifications feature. When a task is added, updated, or completed, Crimson will send a notifications to both your smartphone and Crimson account. Make sure you go to My Account in your Crimson account to opt in to this new feature!
If you have questions about the new push notifications or any inquiries about Crimson, please contact our Crimson Support Team.
A new enhancement to the Crimson platform dramatically shortens the amount of time it takes to run a People or Money search on large databases, such as party committees or presidential campaigns.
- A search for $10,000+ gifts made after January 1, 2015 decreased from 41 seconds to 7 seconds.
- A search for $10,000+ gifts after January 1, 2015 in 17 selected states decreased from 76 seconds to 14 seconds.
- A search for March 2016 internet donors decreased from 10 seconds to 3 seconds.
In order to speed up these queries under People Search, the default for “Sort Order” was changed. When Sort Order is selected, it takes the search much longer to complete. Now, if you want this option enabled, you have to click on the blue icon at the top of the page.
A menu will appear where you can drag-and-drop the order of the fields for Search, Export and Print options.
Notifications for New, Changed & Completed Tasks
Stay on top of your Tasks in Crimson with the new notification feature! When a task is added, updated, or completed, Crimson will send a notifications to all the users involved – Scheduler, Assignee, or whoever completed it.
Crimson will also monitor deadlines and send each assignee a list of the Tasks that are due every day.
Recalculate the Data on Your Fundraising Dashboard
Want to re-set your fundraising dashboard? Now, you have the option to refresh the data reflected on your Crimson dashboard with the recalculate fundraising dashboard button under the System Page menu.
Improved Import Matching Logic
We’ve improved the matching logic when loading and importing data into Crimson to further reduce duplicate people records in the database.
Coming Soon! Push Notifications to CrimsonMobile
Soon, you'll have the option to turn on push notifications in CrimsonMobile that will send Task notifications to your smartphone as well as your Crimson account.
Once you download the app in either the iTunes App Store or Google Play, you’ll be able to turn this feature on under user settings. You will also be able to receive notifications via email. Go to My Account in Crimson to opt into this feature.
RSVP to join our latest monthly Crimson Webinars, hosted by our Senior Support Staff next Wednesday, May 11! Choose to attend one or both of the sessions covering Crimson Treasury Features and a General Overview of Crimson.
Crimson Treasury Features (Wednesday at 11 a.m. EDT)
- A general overview of Crimson’s Treasury features including Expenditures, Other Receipts, Invoices, Check Payments, and Reconciliation tools
Crimson General Overview (Wednesday at 2 p.m. EDT)
- A general overview: People Search, Data Entry, Reports, and more
- Newest features: Recalculate Dashboard button, DOB settings, Advanced Export by Channel, and Tool tips
A new feature under Crimson’s People Search allows you to search by an individual’s birthday. This is helpful for recognizing the birthdays for donors or volunteers in your organization or campaign.
How to Search by Birthday
1. Under the People menu, select Search.
2. Scroll down until you see Birthday Month/Day
With this option, you can search for a specific day, birthdays falling in a specific month or birthdays that are before or after a specific date.
Note: The Birthday Month/Day search filter only works for dates in the same calendar year. A search for birthdays between December 1 – January 31 would need to be broken up into two separate queries.
3. Once your search criteria is entered, click on the blue Search
4. Search results will appear just like any other query made under People Search.
How to Add DOB to a Profile
1. If you would like to add date of birth information or a birthday to an individual profile, click on the general tab.
2. Under the General Tab, you can select the DOB field to add or edit an individual’s birthday.