Accurately target your outreach and fundraising efforts by cleaning up your lists, reducing waste and saving money through CMDI’s Merge/Purge Services. This critical process produces a unique set of names to target for your outreach activities, such as mail, email, advertising, or GOTV.
As leaders in data management, we processed 200 million records for merge/purge in 2016.
Merge/purge is the process of combining two or more files in order to identify and remove duplicates and remove unwanted records. This data maintenance service provides clients with the best possible list of names to send via direct mail or email. This service reduces your costs and waste because you are only sending one piece to each targeted person.
Within 48 hours of receiving a request and all data, CMDI’s efficient merge/purge process is typically complete. All submitted data is standardized, duplicate records eliminated, and existing donors suppressed.
CMDI starts the merge/purge with all of the lists and files the client has rented, purchased, or created. If the goal is to acquire new donors, the client will normally use a house file as a suppression. People who requested to be removed during previous mailings are also suppressed.
Lists are coded in order to track their performance. Duplicates are usually coded with a separate multi-buyer code for a second drop occurring about 30 days after the main drop. Both the client and list brokers are provided with reports that show the number of names remaining after the merge/purge, along with the following:
- Purge drops — matches to the suppression file(s)
- Multi-drops — duplication between input files
- Single drops — duplication within the same file
According to the U.S. Census, nearly 36 million Americans move each year, which makes it difficult to maintain a high quality mailing list. CASS and NCOA are two services offered by CMDI that updates and standardizes your data.
Coding Accuracy Support System (CASS): The CASS certification process standardizes addresses for a better match rate. This system is designed in cooperation with the mailing industry to improve the accuracy of postal codes that appear on mail, such as 5-digit ZIP Code®, ZIP + 4®, delivery point (DPCs), and carrier route codes. CASS Certification is renewed annually to meet current USPS requirements.
National Change of Address (NCOA): CMDI’s internally-developed software processes data against NCOALink™, the 0-18 month USPS change-of-address database and returns the original addresses as well as the new addresses. An optional match for 48-month. NCOA is available through Peachtree Data.
NCOA reduces costs by identifying and eliminating undeliverable mail and ensuring that mail reaches the intended recipient. In the case of nonprofit bulk mail, a valid NCOA report — run within 95 days of the mail date — results in lower postage rates.
In addition to merge/purge services, CMDI provides other data services that add to the accuracy of your mailing lists:
• Apartment Append – improves the deliverability of mail by providing missing apartment numbers.
• Bankruptcy Suppression – identifies individuals who have filed for either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
• Deceased Suppression – identifies deceased individuals.
• DMA Mail Preference – identifies individuals who have requested to be removed from unsolicited mailings.
• DSF2 – helps to reduce the amount of undeliverable-as-addressed (UAA) pieces, which results in more efficient
postal mail processing and delivery operations.
• GeoCoding – appends latitude and longitude information to data, enhancing the ability to target your campaign.
• Nursing Home Suppression – identifies nursing home facilities.
• PCOA – finds change-of-address information beyond the NCOALink™ by using Proprietary Change of Address.
• Phone Append and Verify – adds phone numbers to a file and verifies existing phone numbers.
• Prison Suppression – identifies addresses of federal, state, county, and city correctional facilities.
• Reverse Phone Append – provides name and address for 10-digit phone numbers.